Tuesday, July 9, 2013

fishducky's art corner ~ THE MIRROR






It's been a couple of years since I posted about the mirror Fran, aka fishducky, made for us. Since then I have started fishducky's art corner, posts that feature her art, and both fishducky and I have made many new blogger friends. So, I thought, why not share the mirror again. It is a unique piece of art that I am very, very happy to own. 

fishducky's creative spirit stretches far and wide and some years ago she decided to make special mirrors for her family and friends. The mirrors would depict their lives, things they enjoyed and cared about. So the mirror we have in our home is a picture of our lives and what is important to us. And the vibrant colors fit perfectly with the crazy wall color of our living room and entrance hall.


fishducky asked my husband to make frames for all the mirrors, which he did. She then asked us to let her know what we most liked to do and what we valued in life. I submitted a list to her and she made this mirror for us.



The first square: Aren't people interesting? My husband is a people person, much more so than I, but I do find people interesting. Second: Have a long, happy marriage. Something we both wish for, of course, and so far it's been 26 years! And third: Love animals. And that we both do.


Go sailing. Something we loved to do at the time. Still would, but we're desert dwellers now and the boat has been sold.


The blue square: Yeah, team! Some of our most fun memories are from Dodger Stadium, when the Cubs, my team, came to town. We also enjoyed Pop Warner Football when our nephews were little. Next: Visit antique stores. That would be me. And below: Read a good book. Me again, as most of you know, I have loved reading my whole life.


Something you may not know about me is that I love miniatures. There was a dollhouse museum in Los Angeles, close by where I lived, and each time I went there I was in miniature heaven. So you can imagine how much I love these miniatures. An old-fashioned juke box: Listen to music. Something we both like to do. After that, a pretty flower in a frame: Go to the museum. I think we both like that, but it is definitely one of my most favorite things to do. And, finally, the cutest claw-foot bathtub: Soak in a bubble bath, with fishducky's signature ducky, a plaid towel, and a brush to scrub your back. Now how great is that?

Then to the top of the right side panel:


Where you find an acknowledgement of my husband's true love, cooking: Cook yummy food. It says on the little box that it contains Italia Mostaccioli, the very best from Italy. Underneath the cooking square, a butterfly rests: Isn't nature wonderful? Love of nature, dogs and cats was what brought us together. I knew my husband, who was my neighbor in Los Angeles, as a friend for many years, before…..



Then another couple of fabulous miniatures. A toolbox with actual miniature tools: Enjoy your work. My husband is now retired, but he has done fabulous work all over the Los Angeles area, including an addition to fishducky's house, as well as the housing for their elevator. And I have seen a gazebo he made, where the roof is floating on air, or so it seems. Then a pair of sneakers: Take a walk. We both love to walk and hike.


The first of the final two squares gives good advice: Celebrate life. Since this mirror was made sometime in the 90s, the computer below is old-fashioned by now, but I remember them well, these early ones with their floppy disks and simple screens: Keep up with the times. I took a minute to look at it through my magnifying glass necklace.  The sidebar offers the following functions: My Computer, Network Neighborhood, Inbox, and Recycle Bin. The screen says: e-mail and You Have Mail. The keyboard is accurate and on the top are a bunch of floppy disks and a cup of coffee. It doesn't get much better than this.

Again, thank you Fran for this very thoughtful gift. A unique and beautiful work of original art and a true treasure of ours. 








Click here to visit fishducky's very funny blog. Last night I was reading her latest post and laughing so hard, while crying out in pain from what this did to my injured rib, that my husband came to see if I was OK. That's how funny she is! 




LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails